- National Book Award finalist of 2008
- Received the 2009 Scott O’Dell Award for Historical Fiction
- Winner of the IRA Teacher's Choices booklist in 2009
- Winner of the Top 10 Black History Books for Youth in 2009
- Winner of the Notable Children's Book Award by the Association of Library Service to Children in 2009
The novel follows the story of thirteen-year-old Isabel, a Black American slave fighting for her and her younger sister's (Ruth) freedom while the Revolutionary War is occurring. The story sets in New York in the years 1776 to 1777, when slavery was legal and common in the colonies.