- A New York Times Bestseller
- A Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2016
- An Amazon Best Book of the Year 2016: Young Adult
- A Junior Library Guild selection
- An ABA Indies Choice Young Adult Honor book 2017
- Kids' Indie Next List "Top Ten" Pick (Autumn 2016)
- A YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults 2017
- A Southern Living Best Book of 2016
- A Bank Street CBC Best Book of the Year 2017
"Funny, sweet, utterly heart-wrenching." —Entertainment Weekly
The New York Times bestseller from the critically acclaimed author of Mosquitoland
Victor Benucci and Madeline Falco have a story to tell.
It begins with the death of Vic’s father.
It ends with the murder of Mad’s uncle.
The Hackensack Police Department would very much like to hear it.
But in order to tell their story, Vic and Mad must focus on all the chapters in between.
This is a story about:
1. A coded mission to scatter ashes across New Jersey.
2. The momentous nature of the Palisades in winter.
3. One dormant submarine.
4. Two songs about flowers.
5. Being cool in the traditional sense.
6. Sunsets & ice cream & orchards & graveyards.
7. Simultaneous extreme opposites.
8. A narrow escape from a war-torn country.
9. A story collector.
10. How to listen to someone who does not talk.
11. Falling in love with a painting.
12. Falling in love with a song.
13. Falling in love.